Wednesday, November 28, 2007

ADVENTURES IN THE DESIGN WORLD™: R2-D2 "Soy Source" Bottle vs. Sherwin Williams "Cover The Earth"

So I had a moment of weakness (or was it sheer, soul-crushing boredom?) and I decided to visit TheForce.Net for the first time since Darth Vader let loose with his barbaric yawp. And what do I find? Something actually honest-to-gawrsh entertaining: an R2-D2 soy sauce bottle being sold in Japan, whose marketing collateral's english text declares it a "Soy Source Bottle." Priceless. I particularly like how in the above image, the soy sauce is almost (but not quite) lined up with the hurricane on the planet below, so it almost-sort-of looks like the soy sauce is being poured directly onto the planet and making ripples in the clouds. It reminds me of Sherwin-Williams' "Cover The Earth" -- one of my all-time favorite disturbing logo designs:

Surely nothing strikes eco-terror into the heart of Al Gore like the sight of Mama Earth being coated in blood-red gelatinous house paint. You can just hear the screams of the world's multitudes as their bodies are frozen into Pompeii-like statues of bonded resin and pigment. A timeless classic!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like it comes with a little Dalek napkin on the right side of this photo.

Ok, maybe it's just me.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home