Wednesday, August 15, 2007

WHY GOD CREATED YOUTUBE™: "Twins" By Little Richard & Philip Bailey

Tiree strikes again with yet another music video for an '80s movie title song. This time it's the title track from the Schwarzenegger/DeVito classic Twins and I'm embarrassed to say this reveals a tremendous gap in my pop culture knowledge: I have never seen the movie, and I had no idea this song existed until this morning. But better late than never I suppose, as this video is quite a gem. First off, you've got lots of wacky scenes from the movie. Next, there's actual musician/lead actor interaction as Philip Bailey, Little Richard, Schwarzenegger and DeVito all dance around a convertible (with the white guys in white suits and the black guys in black suits -- such refined visual symbolism!). But I think my absolute favorite part of this video is the few brief glimpses we get of a Steinberger bass in the on-stage shots, which when coupled with the accompanying big hair gives the video a carbon dating of between 1986 and 1989. And sure enough -- it's from 1988.

Truly, this is why God created YouTube.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home