Monday, August 20, 2007

WHY GOD CREATED YOUTUBE™: "It's The Doobie Brothers For Carpets Galore"

I have searched YouTube high and low for this gem from my childhood, and finally hit paydirt last week. As part of a much lengthier SCTV sketch about a morning "Video Jockey" named Gerry Todd, this spoof commercial for a small local business named "Carpets Galore" (sung by Rick Moranis pretending to be Michael McDonald from The Doobie Brothers) was like a goldmine of comedy to me. In the days before my parents bought their first (top-loading) VCR, my brother and I used to make audio tapes of late-night sketch shows off of the tv speaker with a crappy old Radio Shack cassette recorder, and this Gerry Todd sketch (part one is here) was pretty much my favorite of our entire collection. It made fun of so-called "yacht rock" while it was still culturally relevant, long before Michael McDonald and those of his ilk's sole purpose for existence was to be the target of post-modern irony. At the time, the thought of somebody like Michael McDonald doing a carpeting commercial was absolutely absurd. Hard to believe, I know. But these were simpler times, people.

If you keep watching after the carpet commercial, you'll get to see how Michael McDonald really recorded his backup vocals for the Christopher Cross mega-smash Ride Like the Wind as well.

Truly, this is why God created YouTube.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Gerry Todd Show also featured the great Tom Monroe.

Be sure to pay special attention to the backing vocals!

6:29 PM  
Blogger John Eats said...

Indeed, Johnny. My next goal is to find Tom Monroe's cover of Turning Japanese.

I really...think so.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home