Monday, June 25, 2007

ADVENTURES IN THE DESIGN WORLD™: The Unfortunate Medical Malpractice Advertisement on the Damen Bus

It's lucky for me that this poster only seems to be displayed on the Damen bus in Chicago, because if it was on the Brown Line or something else I use every day I probably would have torn it down and been fined by now. Lucky for me, I just get to admire its ghastliness occasionally, and consequently have grown rather fond of it. I mean, it's got so much going for it. Like how it uses at least five different fonts and type weights -- and of course, two different serif fonts (you want typographic contrast, you got it!). And its liberal use of underlining, always the mark of excellent design. Then you've got the whole centering thing -- magnifique. Oh, and the novella's worth of copy is pretty marvelous too. But obviously, my favorite part of this poster has to be this:

Yes, the aggressive, compassionate, and experienced Don must be just too busy to get himself photographed with a real live person in a wheelchair, otherwise they wouldn't have had to Photoshop him into a picture with one. I mean, come on, at least try to get the color balance right. And maybe try to keep him in proportion with the guy in the wheelchair (unless this happens to be a midget in a wheelchair). An attempt at a consistent light source might help do the trick too. Or just HAVE THE COJONES TO F*CKING POSE WITH A REAL LIVE PERSON IN A WHEELCHAIR, YOU DOLT.

Sorry, guess I lost it there for a second.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home