Tuesday, January 23, 2007

WHY GOD CREATED YOUTUBE™: The New Show


I always remembered the first time I'd seen Laurie Anderson on TV as being during an old episode of Saturday Night Live, but some YouTube searching has pretty much proved me wrong. It had to have been on The New Show, an extremely short-lived early-80s SNL clone also produced by Lorne Michaels. And although the clip above isn't the segment I remember, I'm sure the one that I do must have been her other performance from that night (which I remember being a song rather than a monologue). Still, this one's pretty good: it's a performance of "Mach 20" from United States, and it's a great little moment of TV wherein the audience obviously starts out thinking she's supposed to be a comedian and laughs at everything she says but then has no idea how to react when she stops being "funny."

Truly, this is why God created YouTube.

7 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Sometimes the gaps in my knowledge are astounding to me.

I do believe I just fell in love.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really great. I like her a lot better when she doesn't have a violin in her hand.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlfop, you may then also love this intro to Alive From Off Center. Anderson would do the start of each show with her "clone." And this intro happens to be the one I remember most.

10:31 AM  
Blogger John Eats said...

I dunno, MK, I kinda like her tape-bow violin. But that's just me.

12:12 PM  
Blogger e said...

OH. MY. GOD.

I was born on her 32nd birthday.

I turn 32 this year.

COINCIDENCE?!?!?!?!!
I THINK NOT.
THE UNIVERSE HAS SPOKEN.

still, i do wonder why the HELL no one made me find out about her years ago..

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm the loser who didn't realize the first link in the post was the link I did, too...

I'll get the hang of this internet thing yet, just you see!

10:53 PM  
Blogger e said...

actually, it turns out i can't do simple arithmetic, and that i was actually born on her 28th birthday. oh well. it's still cool. me, Laurie Anderson, Federico Garcia Lorca, and my Spanish teacher from high school, all awesome and all born on June 5th.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home