Friday, December 08, 2006

AARON SPELLING: AFFIRMATIONS FROM A PRIME-TIME LIFE™

AN INTRODUCTION: Many moons ago, a kindhearted friend named Wedge gave me a precious gift he found in a bargain bin that has served me well through good times and bad. That gift? The hardback edition of Aaron Spelling: A Prime-Time Life (St. Martin's Press, 1996), the prolific producer's partially ghost-written autobiography.

This tome has often occupied my bedside table, lulling me to sleep while offering me heartfelt advice in times of need. Because while Aaron and his ghostwriter are for the most part pontificating about the rigors of television production, I think what they have to say can be applied to anyone's daily life.

It's now time for me to offer to you, my three to seven valued readers, an occasional glimpse into Aaron's words of wisdom. So without further adieu, I present to you the first installment of AARON SPELLING: AFFIRMATIONS FROM A PRIME-TIME LIFE™.

"The secret to producing television? The ability to pick pepper out of fly shit. They both look the same. But in order to pay attention to detail, you have to be able to pick the pepper out of fly shit."

--Aaron Spelling (as written by Jefferson Graham)


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you want to pick the fly shit out of the pepper? Not the other way around? Or is it a pile of mostly fly shit, and you have to pick out the pepper?

I guess we all now know why Aaron never produced any really fly shit.

10:03 AM  
Blogger e said...

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years! I'm going to be much more careful about my seasonings from now on, I tell you what!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home